- 6 large leeks
- 1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp dried tarragon leaves
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- 2 cups low-fat (1% fat) milk
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- Trim root ends and tough, dark green tops off leeks. Split leeks lengthwise, rinse with water, and slice thinly to make 1 quart of cut leeks.
- In a large, heavy soup pot sprayed with nonstick spray, cook leeks, mushrooms, garlic, tarragon and pepper over medium-high heat, stirring often for 15 minutes. Cover pot if vegetables become too dry.
- In a blender, mix flour with milk. Add to cooked vegetables. Add chicken broth and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened.