Sopa De Pollo a la Mexicana - Mexican Chicken Soup
All of your favorite Mexican flavors mix together in this soup. ¬°Muy delicioso!
- 1 Tbsp canola oil (15 mL)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 4 celery stalks, sliced
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper (0.5 mL)
- 2 tsp cumin (10 mL)
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes (5 mL)
- 8 cups low-sodium chicken stock (2 L)
- 2/3 cup lentils (150 mL)
- 1 can (19 oz) tomatoes, chopped (540 mL)
- 3 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 lbs cooked chicken, cubed (1 kg)
- 1 small zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1 cup frozen peas (250 mL)
- 1 small avocado, peeled and sliced
- In Dutch oven, heat canola oil. Add garlic, onion and celery. Saute until vegetables are tender. Season with black pepper, cumin and red pepper flakes.
- Add chicken stock, lentils, tomatoes and carrots. Simmer, covered, 30 minutes, or until carrots are tender.
- Add chicken, zucchini and peas.
- Cover and simmer 10 to 15 minutes longer, or until vegetables are tender. Garnish with avocado slices.
Nutritional Information (Per Serving)|
|Sodium: ||280 mg |
|Cholesterol:||75 mg |
|Saturated Fat: || 1.5g|
|Dietary Fiber: ||5g|
|Carbohydrates: || 14g|