New England Style Clam Chowder
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup water
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 cans (6oz. each) chopped or minced clams (use clam juice)
- 3 packages (1 tsp each) chicken bouillon granules
- 4 cups low-fat (1% fat) milk
- 3 tbsp each: flour and cornstarch, mixed with 1/2 cup water in a blender
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup very lean, cooked bacon bits
- In a large, heavy soup pot sprayed with nonstick spray, stir-fry onion over medium heat until soft.
- Add water, potatoes, clams and chicken bouillon granules. Simmer until potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes. Add milk, flour-cornstarch mixture and pepper.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened. Ladle into 6 large soup bowls and garnish with bacon bits.
Nutritional Information (Per Serving)|
|Protein:|| 12.8 g|
|Sodium: || 883 mg|
|Cholesterol:|| 23 mg|
|Fat: || 2.46 g|
|Carbohydrates: || 24 g|
|Exchanges: || 1/2 lean meat; 1 bread; 3/4 nonfat milk|
Source: Suzi Castle's Deliciously Healthy Favorite Foods