- 1-1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 3 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1 large egg, beaten, or 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 orange, peeled, seeded, and diced
- Combine the milk, tapioca, egg, sugar, and salt in a small non-stick saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture comes to a boil.
- Remove from the heat. Add the orange juice slowly, stirring constantly. Return to the heat, stirring until the mixture boils again. Remove from the heat.
- Let cool 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Mix in the vanilla and diced orange. Chill well before serving, at least 2 hours.