Mussels with Tomatoes, Basil and Garlic
- 2 pounds mussels
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup finely diced onions
- 2 teaspoons crushed garlic
- 1 can (14 oz.) tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil (or 1/2 teaspoon dried)
- 1-1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano (or 1/4 teaspoon dried)
- Scrub mussels under cold water; pull off hairy beards. Discard
any that do not close when tapped. Set aside.
- In large non-stick saucepan, heat oil; saute onions and garlic
for 2 minutes. Add tomatoes, wine, basil and oregano; cook for
3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add mussels; cover and cook until mussels fully open, 4 to 5
minutes. Discard any that do not open. Arrange mussels in bowls;
pour sauce over top.
Nutritional Information (Per Serving)|
|Sodium: ||421 mg|
|Fat: ||3 g|
|Carbohydrates: || 12 g|
|Exchanges: || 2 Vegetables, 1/2 Lean Meat, 1/2 Fat|
Source: The Best Diabetes Cookbook