Golden Currant Pilaf with Cinnamon
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain white rice
- 2 cups homemade chicken broth or canned reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup dried currants
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1/4 cup packed chopped fresh parsley
- Saute the onion in the oil in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the rice; cook 1 minute. Stir in the broth, currants, turmeric, cinnamon, and salt (if desired).
- Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat; cover and simmer until most of the liquid is absorbed, about 20 minutes. Remove from the heat; let stand, covered, 5 minutes. Stir in the parsley.