Avocado and Grapefruit Salad with Sherry Vinaigrette
- One 1-1/4 pound ruby red grapefruit, or 1 cup grapefruit segments
- 2 medium-sized ripe avocados (about 1-1/4 pounds total)
- 1 bunch watercress (about 6 ounces), washed and thick stems removed
- 1 tablespoon almond, walnut, or olive oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sherry vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 2 to 3 drops hot pepper sauce
Cut the grapefruit in half; seed them and
carefully remove the segments. Reserve the shells.
- Cut each avocado in half; peel and pit.
- Divide the trimmed watercress among 4 chilled salad
plates. Put an avocado half on top of each watercress
nest. Divide the grapefruit segments to fill the
cavities and top the avocado halves.
- To make the dressing, squeeze 1 tablespoon of juice
from the grapefruit shells into a small bowl. Add the
oil, vinegar, seasoned salt, and hot pepper sauce.
Mix well with a fork.
- Drizzle 2 teaspoons of the dressing over each salad.
Nutritional Information (Per Serving)|
|Protein:|| 3 g|
|Sodium: || 65 mg|
|Cholesterol:|| 0 mg|
|Fat: || 15 g|
|Carbohydrates: || 12 g|
|Exchanges: || 1 Fruit, 3 Fat|
Source: The New Family Cookbook for People with Diabetes