Old-Fashioned Baked Custard
- 3 large eggs, slightly beaten, or 3/4 cup egg substitute
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups fat-free milk
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, sugar, salt, and nutmeg. Slowly stir in the milk and vanilla.
- Pour 1/2 cup of custard into each of six 5-ounce custard cups. Sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Set the filled custard cups in a shallow pan. Pour about 1 inch of hot water in the pan around the custard cups.
- Bake on the center rack of the oven for 35 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the custard comes out clean. Serve hot, warm, or chilled.
Nutritional Information (Per Serving)|
|Sodium: ||171 mg|
|Fat: ||3 g|
|Dietary Fiber:||0 g|
|Sugars: || 8 g|
|Carbohydrates: || 8 g|
|Exchanges: || 1/2 Other Carbohydrate, 1/2 Medium-Fat Meat|
Source: The New Family Cookbook for People with Diabetes