- 1-1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- Pinch of salt
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup raisins, soaked overnight
in 1/2 cup unsweetened orange juice
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and finely grated
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 2 medium egg whites, at room temperature
- 3-1/2 ounces low-fat cream cheese beaten
with 2 teaspoons sifted confectioners' sugar
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Lightly grease an 8 x 4 inch loaf pan and line it with parchment paper.
- Sift the flour, salt, baking powder, cinnamon and ginger into a large bowl, tipping in any bran left in the sifter.
- Stir in the sugar, raisins with their juice, carrots and oil and mix well.
- Beat the egg whites until they stand up in soft peaks, then fold lightly but thoroughly into the carrot mixture, using a large spoon or spatula.
- Pour into the pan and bake in the center of the oven for about 1-1/4 hours, or until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and peel off the lining paper. When completely cool, cut in half horizontally and fill with the sweetened cream cheese.
Nutritional Information (Per Serving)|
|Sodium: ||154 mg|
|Fat: ||3 g|
|Saturated Fat: || 1 g|
|Dietary Fiber: ||3 g|
|Carbohydrates: || 26 g|
|Exchanges: || 1 Starch, 2/3 Fruit, 1/2 Fat|
Source: Great Healthy Food - Diabetes