Bread and Tomato Salad
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 4 cups diced seeded tomatoes (1-1/2 pounds)
- 2 cups cubed whole-wheat country bread (5 ounces), crusts removed
- 1/4 cup thinly slivered red onion
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons capers, rinsed
- Whisk oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Add tomatoes, bread, onion, basil and capers. Toss to combine.
- Let the salad sit for about 5 minutes to allow it to absorb the dressing's flavors, stirring occasionally.
- Serve at room temperature.
Nutritional Information (Per Serving)|
|Sodium: ||275 mg|
|Fat: ||9 g|
|Carbohydrates: || 19 g|
|Exchanges: || 1 Starch, 1 Vegetable, 1-1/2 Fat|
Source: The Eating Well Diabetes Cookbook