Asparagus with Red Pepper Sauce
- 1/2 pound asparagus stalks
- 1-1/2 large large red eppers
- 1-3/4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- Salt & pepper
- Peel the asparagus if necessary and cook the stalks in lightly salted water for 4 to 8 minutes, until fork tender.
- Drain under cold water and set the stalks aside.
- Broil the peppers on all sides until lightly scorched.
- Place the cooked peppers in a paper bag for 10 minutes.
- Remove the peppers and peel off the skin.
- Cut open the peppers and remove the stem, seeds and white flesh.
- Puree the peppers in the food processor.
- Mix in the olive oil, balsamic vinegar and thyme.
- Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper if desired.
- Place equal amount of the puree on 2 serving dishes.
- Top with equal amounts of asparagus.
Nutritional Information (Per Serving)|
|Protein:|| 3 g|
|Fat: || 3 g|
|Carbohydrates: || 5 g|
|Exchanges: || 1 Vegetable; 1 Fat|
Source: The Diabetic Newsletter