- 8 ounces uncooked broad egg noodles
- 3 large eggs, beaten, or 3/4 cup egg substitute
- 3/4 cup low-fat small-curd cottage cheese
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 large tart apple, peeled, cored, and diced in 1/4-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup raisins, soaked in hot water for 10 minutes and drained
- 1/4 cup margarine, melted
- Cook the noodles according to the package directions, omitting salt; drain well. There should be 4 cups of cooked noodles.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Prepare an 8-inch-square pan with non-stick pan spray.
- Combine the eggs, cottage cheese, brown sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla in a large bowl. Stir in the noodles, apple, and raisins. Pour into the prepared dish.
- Drizzle the margarine evenly over the top of the casserole.
- Bake, uncovered, for 45 to 55 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Cut the kugel into 12 equal pieces (about 2 x 2 inches). Serve hot or chilled.
Nutritional Information (Per Serving)|
|Sodium: ||122 mg|
|Fat: ||6 g|
|Dietary Fiber: ||1 g|
|Sugars: || 6 g|
|Carbohydrates: || 20 g|
|Exchanges: || 1-1/2 Starch, 1 Fat|
Source: The New Family Cookbook for People with Diabetes