Meat Marinara Sauce
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup fresh chopped onion , chopped
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 3/4 cup sliced green bell peppers, chopped
- 30 ounces whole-canned unsalted tomatoes, 2-15 ounce cans
- 30 ounces no-salt tomato sauce , 2-15 ounce cans
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground thyme
- 1 pound 90% lean ground beef or ground turkey
- Heat oil in sauce pan over medium heat. Add onion, garlic powder, and green pepper to oil. Cover and heat 2 minutes, stirring occassionally.
- Mash tomatoes into small pieces and stir into tomato sauce.
- Add spices and tomato mixture to sauce pan. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer.
- Brown beef or turkey in skillet. Place in a colander or strainer.
- Bring a tea kettle full or 3 quart sauce pan of water to a rapid boil. Place colander over a large bowl and pour boiling water over the meat to remove excess grease.
- Add meat to tomato sauce mixture and continue to simmer another 20 minutes on medium heat.
- Remove bay leaves and serve over pasta or rice.
Nutritional Information (Per Serving)|
|Sodium: ||67 mg|
|Fat: ||8.5 g|
|Saturated Fat: || 2.5 g|
|Dietary Fiber: ||4 g|
|Sugars: || 11 g|
|Carbohydrates: || 23 g|
|Exchanges: || 3/4 Fat, 1 1/2 Meat, 4 1/2 Vegetable|