Shrimp Vera Cruz
Serving size is 1/4 of recipe, or about 1 cup shrimp mixture plus 1/2 cup rice.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- One 14 to 15 ounce can stewed tomatoes with juice
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh jalapeno pepper, or 1 tablespoon chopped pickled jalapeno pepper
- 1 small green or red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and cut into short, thin strips
- 1 pound medium shrimp in the shell, peeled and deveined (about 12 ounces after peeling)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped cilantro
- 2 cups hot cooked brown or white rice
- 1 lime, cut in wedges (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Saute the onion and garlic until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes with their liquid and the jalapeno pepper; simmer 10 minutes. Add the pepper strips and shrimp; cook until the shrimp are opaque, about 5 minutes.
- Stir the cornstarch into 1 tablespoon water in a small bowl; add to the skillet. Stir and cook until the sauce thickens, about 1 minute. Stir in the cilantro.
- Divide the hot rice among 4 bowls; pour 1/4 of shrimp and vegetables into each bowl. Garnish with lime wedges, if desired.
Nutritional Information (Per Serving)|