Wild Rice Muffins
Wild rice adds crunchy texture and a nutritional boost to these hearty muffins.
- 1/2 cup uncooked wild rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 4 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 3 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Heat rice, water, and 1/2 teaspoon salt to boiling in small saucepan; reduce heat and simmer, covered, until rice is tender, 45 to 50 minutes. Drain, if necessary, and cool.
- Mix milk, margarine, egg, egg whites, and rice. Add combined all-purpose and whole wheat flour, baking powder, sugar and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, mixing just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Spoon batter into 12 greased muffin cups.
- Bake at 400 degrees until muffins are browned, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Remove from pans and cool on wire racks.