Confetti Rice and Beans
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup long-grain white rice or basmati rice
- 2 cups fat-free, reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup canned black beans, drained
- 1/2 cup diced red pepper
- 1/2 cup diced yellow pepper
- 1/2 cup diced green pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a saucepan over medium-high heat, heat the oil.
- Add the onion and garlic and saute for 4 minutes.
- Add the bay leaf and rice and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add the broth and bring to a boil. Lower the heat, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the beans and cook for 5 minutes. Add the pepper, cumin, and coriander and cook for 5 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Nutritional Information (Per Serving)|
|Sodium: ||200 mg|
|Fat: ||2 g|
|Dietary Fiber: ||4 g|
|Sugars: || 4 g|
|Carbohydrates: || 36 g|
|Exchanges: || 2 Starch, 1 Vegetable|
Source: The Diabetes Food and Nutrition Bible