Hot and Sour Soup
- 10 large dried black mushrooms
- 1/2 cup tree ear fungi
- 1/3 tiger lily stems (golden needles)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons water
- 3/4 diced uncooked chicken breast
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 can (8 oz.) bamboo shoots, sliced
- 6 cups chicken stock, or 3 cans (10-3/4 oz each) chicken broth, defatted, + 2 cans water
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon double black soy sauce
- 2 cakes tofu (fresh bean curd), cubed
- 2 teaspoons chili oil
- 2 egg whites, beaten
- 4 green onions, sliced
- Place mushrooms, tree ears, and tiger lily stems in a small bowl and cover with boiling water. In about 15 minutes or when they are soft, drain off the water and chop off stems or any hard parts.
- Slice mushrooms and tree ears and pull tiger lily stems into shreds. Set aside.
- Combine cornstarch and water into a smooth paste. Set aside.
- In a heated wok or skillet, saute chicken in oil until chicken is cooked through.
- Stir in regular soy sauce.
- Stir in mushrooms, tree ears, tiger lily stems, and bamboo shoots.
- Add chicken stock, vinegar, and double black soy sauce.
- Stir cornstarch mixture into soup. Let thicken.
- Add tofu and bring soup to a boil.
- Stir in the chili oil and white pepper.
- Turn off the heat for 1 minute and then slowly pour the egg whites into the soup, stirring constantly.
- Garnish each bowl of soup with chopped green onions.
Nutritional Information (Per Serving)|
|Fat: ||2 g|
|Carbohydrates: || 5 g|
|Exchanges: || 1/2 Bread/Starch; 1 Meat|
Source: Eater's Choice Low-Fat Cookbook