Southwestern Chicken Chowder
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut in cubes
- 1 can (14-1/2 oz.) tomato wedges, drained, juice reserved
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 summer squash, sliced thin
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet green pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tomatillos, cut in wedges
- 1 cup sliced jicama
- 1 can (14-1/2 oz.) low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1-1/2 cups fresh corn, cut from cob
- In large Dutch oven, place oil and heat over medium temperature.
- Add chicken and garlic, turning chicken to brown on all sides, about 3 minutes.
- Add onion and green pepper; cook about 5 minutes, stirring.
- Add tomatillos and chicken broth; bring to a boil and simmer about 10 minutes.
- Add corn and liquid from can of tomato wedges. Cover and cook on low heat about 10 minutes.
- Add squash, cumin, salt, pepper and tomato wedges. Cover and cook on low about 5 minutes.
- Add jicama and cilantro and cook 5 minutes more.
- Serve with tortilla chips, if desired.
Nutritional Information (Per Serving)|
|Protein:|| 50 g|
|Sodium: || 430 mg|
|Cholesterol:|| 129 mg|
|Fat: || 9 g|
|Saturated Fat: || 2 g|
|Carbohydrates: || 18 g|