- 6 medium yams, boiled in skin until tender (about 20 – 30 minutes)
- 1/3 cup raisins*
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp sugar substitute
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- Ground cloves to taste
- 1/3 cup low-calorie margarine
- 1 cup cold water
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Cool yams, peel, and slice lengthwise.
- Place the yam slices in a covered baking dish. Sprinkle the raisins over the yams.
- In a separate bowl, mix the brown sugar, sugar substitute, and spices; sprinkle over the yams. Dot with margarine and add water.
- Cover the baking dish and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove the cover, then bake another 15 – 20 minutes.
Note: If you leave out the raisins, it reduces the nutritional information by these amounts: 3.2g carbohydrate; 2.4 g sugars; 12 calories; Fiber 0.2g.
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 3 grams
Sodium: 63 miligrams
Protein: 1 grams
Carbohydrates: 14 grams
Diabetic Exchanges1 Starch
Source: How to Cook for People with Diabetes. Photo by City Foodsters.