- 1 pound fresh green beans
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons shelled sunflower seeds
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano, or 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- Snap the ends off the beans. If they are very young, leave the beans whole; if large, break the beans into 2-inch lengths. Place the beans in a saucepan; add 1 cup water and the onion, garlic, salt, and pepper.
- Cover and bring to a boil; reduce the heat to a simmer, and cook about 8 minutes, until the beans are crisp-tender; drain.
- Sprinkle the sunflower seeds and oregano over the beans. Toss lightly to mix.
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 2 grams
Fiber: 2 grams
Sodium: 37 miligrams
Protein: 2 grams
Carbohydrates: 6 grams
Sugars: 1 grams
Diabetic Exchanges1 Vegetable, 1/2 Fat
Source: The New Family Cookbook For People with Diabetes