- 3 cups chicken stock or water
- 1 cup long grain brown or wild rice
- Pinch coarse salt to taste
- 1 medium yellow squash, cubed
- 1 medium zucchini squash, cubed
- 2 cups of baby lima beans
- 2 cups of whole-kernel corn
- 1 red bell pepper, roasted & cut into bite-sized strips
- 1 green bell pepper, roasted & cut into bit-sized strips
- 1/4 cup sunflower seed or corn oil
- 3 cloves garlic, finely diced
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- In a large, deep pot over medium heat, bring the chicken stock or water to a rolling boil. Sprinkle in the rice and a pinch of salt, then lower the heat. Cover and steam for 20 minutes. Gradually add the squash, lima beans, peppers, and corn; stir well. Cover and steam for an additional 20 minutes.
- While this mixture cooks, warm the oil in a medium cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and onions, stirring briskly and cooking for about 5 minutes until garlic and onions are just glistening and translucent, but not brown. Add the remaining seasonings; stir thoroughly and remove fromthe heat.
- Stirring thoroughly, add these ingredients to the steaming rice and balance the seasonings and liquids. Steam for a final 5 minutes, covered. Fluff and serve.
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 9 grams
Sodium: 374 miligrams
Carbohydrates: 22 grams
Diabetic Exchanges1-1/2 Bread; 1 Vegetable; 1-1/2 Fat
Source: Enduring Harvests: A Treasury of Native American Foods For Every Season