- 4 catfish or ocean perch fillets (1 pound total), thawed if frozen
- 2 slices white bread, crumbled, or 1 cup fresh bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons grated Romano or Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh basil or oregano, or 1 teaspoon dried basil or oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 large egg, beaten, or 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 1/4 cup low-fat (1 percent) buttermilk
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Prepare a baking pan with nonstick pan spray.
- In a pie pan or shallow dish, mix the bread crumbs, cheese, basil or oregano, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In another pie pan or dish, combine the egg and buttermilk.
- Dip each fish fillet first in the milk mixture, then in the crumb mixture to coat both sides with crumbs.
- Arrange the fillets in 1 layer in the baking pan. Bake 15 to 20 minutes, until the fish flakes easily with a fork.
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 11 grams
Sodium: 518 miligrams
Cholesterol: 121 miligrams
Protein: 23 grams
Carbohydrates: 7 grams
Sugars: 1 grams
Diabetic Exchanges1/2 Starch, 3 Lean Meat, 1/2 Fat
Source: Light and Easy Diabetes Cuisine