- 3/4 tsp coarsely ground black pepper (4 mL)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder (2 mL)
- 1/2 tsp onion powder (2 mL)
- 1/2 tsp salt (2 mL)
- 4 beef tenderloin steaks (5 oz/140 g each), about 1-inch ( 2.5 cm) thick
- 2 Tbsp canola oil (30 mL)
- 4 large shallots, peeled and finely chopped
- 6 oz/170 g sliced portabella mushrooms
- 3/4 cup strong coffee (175 mL)
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar (60 mL)
- Preheat oven to 200F (400C).
- In small bowl, combine black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt. Sprinkle both sides of steaks with spice mixture, pressing down with fingertips to adhere. Set aside. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Heat 1 Tbsp (15 mL) canola oil in large, nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook steaks 4 minutes, turn and cook 2-4 minutes longer or until desired doneness. Place steaks on separate plate and place in oven to keep warm.
- Heat remaining 1 Tbsp canola oil to pan residue in skillet, cook shallots 15 seconds, stirring constantly. Add mushrooms and cook 3 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently, using two utensils as you would with stir-fry. Spoon equal amounts over beef and return to oven to keep warm.
- To skillet, add coffee, vinegar and remaining 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, continue to boil 4 or so minutes or until reduced to 1/4 cup (60 mL). Spoon over all and top with additional coarsely ground black pepper, if desired.
- Serving size: 3.5 oz/105 g beef, 1/3 cup (75 mL) mushroom mixture and 1 Tbsp (60 mL) sauce.
This full flavored entree is guaranteed to satisfy your appetite!
Recipe Yield: Yield: 4 servings
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 8 grams
Saturated Fat: 1 grams
Fiber: 1 grams
Sodium: 320 miligrams
Cholesterol: 20 miligrams
Protein: 10 grams
Carbohydrates: 15 grams
Content Continues Below ⤵
Recipe Options - Cool Things You Can Do
Scroll down to comment or see what others said. You can also share, rate, print, email or Favorite this recipe to your Recipe Box right now.