- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 1/2 onion, cubed
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tomato, deseeded and chopped
- 1 ancho chile, seeded, soaked in hot water
- 1 pasilla pepper, seeded, soaked in hot water
- 1 (19 oz) can black beans
- 1 bouquet garni (1 Tbsp each dried cilantro, oregano, marjoram wrapped in cheesecloth)*
- 1 lime, halved
- 4 cup chicken broth
- 2 Tbsp mezcal or tequila
- Salt to taste
- 6 Tbsp chorizo, fried and crumbled
- 6 Tbsp low-fat buttermilk
*Bouquet garni is a bundle of herbs used to prepare soup, stock and various stews. The bouquet is boiled with other ingredients, but removed prior to consumption. To make the bouquet, use 1 Tbsp each of dried cilantro, oregano and marjoram and place in cheesecloth to form a bundle.
- In deep pan or pot, heat canola oil at high heat and add onion. Saute until brown and add garlic. Reduce heat to medium. Stir in tomatoes and peppers. Cook 15 minutes, stirring constantly to avoid burning.
- Combine black beans, bouquet garni, limes and broth with mixture. Cook 5 minutes. Add mezcal or tequila, salt and discard lime halves and herbs. Cook 10 minutes. Blend and season to taste.
- Garnish with buttermilk and chorizo.
Tip: If too thick, add more broth
This hearty Black bean soup will warm you up on a cold day.
Recipe Yield: Yield: 10 servings. 1/2 cup per serving.
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 7 grams
Saturated Fat: 2 grams
Fiber: 6 grams
Sodium: 310 milligrams
Cholesterol: 10 milligrams
Protein: 10 grams
Carbohydrates: 18 grams
Scroll down to comment or see what others said. You can also share, rate, print, email or Favorite this recipe to your Recipe Box right now.