- 1 quart water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup Tomato Sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried leaf oregano
- 1/2 cup whole-kernel corn and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Pepper to taste
- In a heavy 3-quart saucepan, bring water and salt to a boil.
- Slowly pour cornmeal into saucepan so that water does not stop boiling, stir to keep smooth.
- Reduce heat and simmer 20 to 25 minutes, stirring often until mixture is stiff.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, heat tomato sauce, oregano, corn, hot pepper flakes and pepper.
- When cornmeal is stiff, turn half into a serving dish and top with half the sauce.
- Layer remaining cornmeal and sauce and let rest to 5 to 10 minutes.
- Cut in squares and serve.
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Sodium: 208 miligrams
Carbohydrates: 23 grams