- 2 hard-cooked large eggs, cooled under running water
- 1 tablespoon fat-free sour cream
- 2 teaspoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1/4 teaspoon Dijon-style mustard
- Pinch salt (optional)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 2 slices reduced-fat whole-wheat bread
- Paprika for garnish (optional)
- Cut each egg in half. Carefully remove the yolks. Discard one yolk.
- In a small bowl, mash the remaining egg yolk. Add the sour cream, pickle relish, mayonnaise, mustard, and salt (if desired). Stir to mix well. Stir in the celery. Chop the egg whites and stir them into the yolk mixture.
- Spread the mixture on each slice of bread. Serve as open-faced sandwiches. If desired, garnish with a light sprinkling of paprika.
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 7 grams
Fiber: 3 grams
Sodium: 296 miligrams
Cholesterol: 215 miligrams
Protein: 9 grams
Carbohydrates: 14 grams
Sugars: 4 grams
Diabetic Exchanges1 Starch, 1 Medium-Fat Meat
Source: The Diabetes Snack, Munch, Nibble, Nosh Book