- 4 medium tomatoes, quartered
- 1 small cucumber, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 medium onion, sliced
- 2 ribs celery, quartered
- 1/2 green bell pepper, cored, seeded, and sliced
- 1/2 cup cold water or 1/2 cup vegetable juice cocktail
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons plain or garlic croutons
- Core and seed 1 tomato. Chop fine; set aside.
- Combine all the remaining ingredients except the croutons in a blender or food processor. Blend only a few seconds, until the vegetables are finely chopped and well mixed. The soup should not be smooth.
- Add the reserved chopped tomato; chill. Serve very cold, topped with croutons.
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 4 grams
Sodium: 621 miligrams
Protein: 2 grams
Carbohydrates: 13 grams
Diabetic Exchanges2 Vegetable, 1 Fat
Source: The New Family Cookbook for People with Diabetes