- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly grease a baking sheet.
- In a large bowl, stir together whole wheat flour, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add buttermilk all at once, stirring with a fork to make a soft, but slightly sticky dough.
- With lightly floured hands, form dough into a ball. On a lightly floured surface, knead the dough gently for 8 to 10 times. Pat the dough into a 6-inch thick round, with a slightly flattened top.
- Place dough on prepared baking sheet. With a shape knife or pizza cutter, score the top in the shape of a cross or large X. Bake in preheated oven for 35 to 45 minutes. Remove from baking sheet onto a cooling rack immediately. Dust top with rice flour. Serve warm from the oven.
Recipe Yield: Yield: Makes 1 Round Loaf
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 1 grams
Fiber: 3 grams
Sodium: 335 milligrams
Cholesterol: 1 milligrams
Protein: 5 grams
Carbohydrates: 25 grams
Source: America's Everyday Diabetes Cookbook
Book Title: America's Everyday Diabetes Cookbook
Recipe Options - Cool Things You Can Do
Scroll down to comment or see what others said. You can also share, rate, print, email or Favorite this recipe to your Recipe Box right now.