- 2 medium beets (about 8 oz/225 g total), peeled, cut into 8 wedges each 2
- 1 medium carrot (about 3 oz/85 g), peeled, cut in half lengthwise, and cut into 2-inch pieces 1
- 1 medium parsnip (about 3 oz/85 g), peeled, quartered lengthwise, and cut into 2-inch pieces 1
- 1 tsp canola oil 5 mL
- 4 cups (about 4 oz/ 115 g) packed spring greens 1 L
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion 125 mL
- 1/4 cup golden raisins (optional) 60 mL
- 1/4 cup (1 oz/ 28 g) pecan pieces, toasted 60 mL
- 3 Tbsp balsamic vinegar 45 mL
- 1 Tbsp plus 2 tsp (10 mL) canola oil 15 mL
- 1/8 tsp dried red pepper flakes .5 mL
- 1 medium clove garlic, minced 1
- 1/4 tsp salt 1 mL
- 1/4 tsp coarsely ground black pepper 1 mL
- Preheat oven to 425 F (220 C).
- Coat a foil-lined baking sheet with cooking spray. Place beets, carrots, and parsnips on baking sheet. Drizzle evenly with 1 tsp (5 mL) canola oil and toss gently, yet thoroughly, to coat lightly. Arrange vegetables in a single layer and bake 10 minutes; stir and bake an additional 7 minutes or until beets are just tender when pierced with a fork. Remove from heat and let stand to cool slightly, about 10 minutes.
- Combine vinaigrette ingredients in a small jar, secure lid, and shake well to blend thoroughly.
- Arrange equal amounts of salad greens on four salad plates. In the following order, top with equal amounts of onion, roasted vegetables, raisins, and pecans. Spoon vinaigrette evenly over all. Serve immediately for peak flavors.
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 12 grams
Saturated Fat: 1 grams
Fiber: 3 grams
Sodium: 185 miligrams
Protein: 2 grams
Carbohydrates: 14 grams
Source: The Heart-Smart Diabetes Kitchen: Fresh, Fast and Flavorful Recipes Made with Canola Oil