- 10 oz. package (300g) fresh spinach
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 3 carrots, grated
- 1 cup mushrooms, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 eggs plus 2 whites (or 3 eggs)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon each pepper and garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 cup matzo meal
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Wash spinach thoroughly. Remove and discard tough stems. Cook spinach in a covered saucepan until wilted, about 3 minutes (or microwave on HIGH for 4 minutes). Don't add any water. The water clinging to the leaves will provide enough steam to cook it. Cool and squeeze dry.
- Heat oil in a non-stick skillet on medium heat. Saute onion, celery, red pepper and carrots for 5 minutes, until golden. Add mushrooms and cook 5 minutes longer (or cook vegetables uncovered in the microwave for 6 to 8 minutes on HIGH).
- Chop spinach coarsely. Combine with remaining ingredients and mix well. Pour into a sprayed 7" x 11" Pyrex casserole. Bake uncovered at 350F for 45 to 50 minutes, until firm. Cut into squares to serve.
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 2.7 grams
Protein: 4 grams
Carbohydrates: 11 grams
Diabetic Exchanges1/3 Bread/Starch; 1/2 Vegetable
Source: The Diabetic Newsletter - 7/2/99