- 4 dried Chinese black (shiitake) mushrooms
- hot water
- 2 tsp canola oil
- 1 carrot, peeled and julienned
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup canned bamboo shoots, drained, julienned
- 3 Tbsp cornstarch, dissolved in 1/4 cup cold water
- 3 Tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar
- 3/4 tsp ground white pepper
- 6 oz savory baked or firm tofu, julienned
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 stalks green onion, thinly sliced
- In small bowl, soak dried mushrooms in hot water for 20 minutes or until softened. Cut off stems and any hard areas and discard. Cut caps into thin slices. Set aside.
- In stock pot, heat canola oil over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and carrots and cook 2 minutes or until carrots are just soft. Add vegetable broth and bamboo shoots and bring to a boil. Add cornstarch mixture and stir until soup thickens, about 2 minutes. Add soy sauce, rice vinegar and white pepper. Stir.
- Add tofu and bring soup back to a boil. While stirring soup in circular motion in one direction, pour eggs in thin stream into soup.
- Remove soup from heat. Stir in green onions. Taste and adjust flavour with rice vinegar and white pepper. Serve immediately.
Recipe Yield: Yield: 8 servings.Serving size: 1 cup
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 3.5 grams
Fiber: 2 grams
Sodium: 450 milligrams
Cholesterol: 55 milligrams
Protein: 4 grams
Carbohydrates: 8 grams
Source: Stella Fong, Food Writer, CanolaInfo
Scroll down to comment or see what others said. You can also share, rate, print, email or Favorite this recipe to your Recipe Box right now.