- 4 dried Chinese black (shiitake) mushrooms
- hot water
- 2 tsp canola oil
- 1 carrot, peeled and julienned
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup canned bamboo shoots, drained, julienned
- 3 Tbsp cornstarch, dissolved in 1/4 cup cold water
- 3 Tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar
- 3/4 tsp ground white pepper
- 6 oz savory baked or firm tofu, julienned
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 stalks green onion, thinly sliced
- In small bowl, soak dried mushrooms in hot water for 20 minutes or until softened. Cut off stems and any hard areas and discard. Cut caps into thin slices. Set aside.
- In stock pot, heat canola oil over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and carrots and cook 2 minutes or until carrots are just soft. Add vegetable broth and bamboo shoots and bring to a boil. Add cornstarch mixture and stir until soup thickens, about 2 minutes. Add soy sauce, rice vinegar and white pepper. Stir.
- Add tofu and bring soup back to a boil. While stirring soup in circular motion in one direction, pour eggs in thin stream into soup.
- Remove soup from heat. Stir in green onions. Taste and adjust flavour with rice vinegar and white pepper. Serve immediately.
Recipe Yield: Yield: 8 servings.Serving size: 1 cup
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 3.5 grams
Fiber: 2 grams
Sodium: 450 milligrams
Cholesterol: 55 milligrams
Protein: 4 grams
Carbohydrates: 8 grams
Source: Stella Fong, Food Writer, CanolaInfo