Combining arugula with kiwifruit (kiwi), strawberries and pecans makes an exceptionally colorful, flavorful and healthy salad that's sure to delight. Serve it with grilled chicken and corn on the cob and you have a satisfying summer meal.
Although arugula originated in the Mediterranean region, it is now grown in most parts of the world and is found in supermarkets and farmers’ markets. An increasingly popular salad green from the Brassica family (like mustard greens, kale, cabbage, cauliflower), arugula has a peppery, mustard-like flavor. It is sold either loose with smaller leaves that have a milder flavor or banded in bunches with larger leaves that have a slightly more bitter flavor. Being rich in iron, potassium and vitamins A, C, K and folate, this dark leafy green adds nutritional punch to salads.
Kiwi and strawberries add contrasting yet complementary sweet flavors to the arugula and are excellent sources of vitamin C. Sliced kiwi with its delicate starburst pattern adds a unique aesthetic appeal to this salad in addition to succulent flavor.
Most people associate kiwi with New Zealand, but it actually originated in China and was known as Chinese gooseberry. Today, China, Italy, New Zealand and Chile produce large quantities of kiwi, but over 90 percent of the U.S. crop comes from California.
When buying kiwi look for those that are unblemished and firm and yield slightly when pressed. If too soft, then the flavor is beyond its peak. Kiwi size is unrelated to flavor. Firm kiwis will ripen at room temperature and ripe kiwis can be stored in the refrigerator to prevent them from becoming over ripe.
The salad dressing features orange and lime juices, zest of an orange, honey, olive oil, fresh cilantro and paprika, making it light and refreshing. Allow the dressing to stand before serving so the unique flavors mingle into an aromatic delight. Topping the salad with toasted pecans adds another delicious layer of crunch, color and fiber, protein and vitamin E.
Arugula Salad with Kiwi, Strawberries and Pecans
Makes 6 servings.
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lime juice (lemon may be substituted)
- 1/4 tsp. paprika
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- Zest of one large orange
- 1 Tbsp. finely chopped cilantro
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups baby or regular arugula
- 4 green onions, sliced thin, including green stems
- 4 kiwi, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 cups fresh halved strawberries
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped, toasted pecans
- In small mixing bowl whisk together orange juice, honey, lime juice and paprika. When well combined slowly add oil and continue whisking until mixture is smooth. Stir in zest and cilantro. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside and allow dressing to stand for a minimum of 10 minutes for flavors to mingle.
- On large serving platter or in large salad bowl spread arugula and sprinkle with green onions. Arrange kiwi and strawberries slices on top. Just before serving drizzle salad with dressing and garnish with pecans.
Optional: Top with grilled boneless, skinless chicken breast and grilled corn on the cob for a heartier meal. See below for other options.
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
9 g total fat
1 g saturated fat
22 g carbohydrate
2 g protein
4 g dietary fiber
8 mg sodium
Here are some grilled chicken recipes that you can make and serve alongside (or on top of) this salad.
Content Continues Below ⤵
- Grilled Sesame Chicken Breast
- Italian-Style Grilled Chicken Breasts
- Seared Cajun Chicken
- Grilled Orange-Mustard Chicken
- Grilled Citrus Chicken Skewers
Here are some similar recipes to try instead.