Add a new twist to your next chicken meal. This simple stuffing in a chicken breast not only tastes great, but helps maintain a nice moist quality to the meat as well.
Combining a bit of yogurt with the cheddar cheese gives the stuffing a smooth, creamy texture. The yogurt also ensures that the poultry remains moist – solving the common problem of a "too dry" chicken breast. A little lemon juice and dash of hot sauce provide some zest.
Greek yogurt is very thick because the whey has been drained away. You can make your own by spooning plain yogurt into a cheese cloth lined colander and letting the yogurt drain for several hours in the refrigerator.
For a tasty, satisfying meal, add some colorful vegetable side dishes; for example, try pairing the chicken with steamed green beans with toasted almonds.
To round out the meal, roast sweet potatoes with a touch of olive oil for a naturally sweet side. With this meal, at least 2/3 of your plate contains plant-based foods and 1/3 or less contains animal-based foods. So for health, flavor and something a little unique put stuffed chicken breasts on your menu.
Stuffed Chicken Breast
Makes 4 servings.
- Canola oil cooking spray
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast, four thick pieces
- 3/4 cup low-fat shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 Tbsp. green onions, finely chopped, including the stems
- 1 medium red bell pepper, 1/2 diced, 1/2 sliced
- 1 Tbsp. plain Greek yogurt (canola mayonnaise may be substituted)
- 2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. hot sauce (optional)
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley or 1 Tbsp. dried parsley
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 7 x 11-inch pan with cooking spray.
- Carefully cut about a 1 inch wide slit into the thick end of each chicken breast. Insert knife to create a fairly deep pocket.
- Combine cheese, green onions, red pepper, yogurt, lemon juice and hot sauce in mixing bowl. Divide mixture into 4 portions and use a spoon to stuff breasts. Secure openings with wooden toothpicks inserted at an angle so meat lays flat. Place in prepared pan.
- Brush olive oil over top of chicken and sprinkle with parsley, then pepper and salt, if using.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Let stand about 5 minutes. Garnish with red pepper slices and serve.
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
6 g total fat
1.8 g saturated fat
2 g carbohydrate
32 g protein
Under 1 g dietary fiber
209 mg sodium