The firm, meaty quality of salmon is perfect for a delectable shish kebab - and its beneficial omega-3 fatty acids make it a healthy choice, too. Add mushrooms, tomatoes, bell peppers and squash to the meal and you'll create a powerhouse of nutrition and taste.
The term shish kebab comes from the Turkish words meaning "skewer" and "roast meat," or in this case, fish. Today kebabs are popular throughout the world. No wonder - you get the great grilled flavor without even having to fire up the charcoal or gas.
According to some historians, even Christopher Columbus was fond of kebabs. Specifically, he reportedly enjoyed Portuguese espetadas, which are kebabs marinated in wine and roasted on an open fire.
In this recipe, the marinade infuses the salmon with a decidedly Mediterranean flavor. While the kebabs marinate, prepare a tabouli salad from whole-grain bulgur wheat or serve hummus with whole-wheat pita to round out the meal. You can further enhance the kebabs with a side dipping sauce featuring yogurt and dill.
Mediterranean-Style Oven Kebabs
Content Continues Below ⤵ ↷
Makes 4 servings.
- Juice of 4 lemons
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tbsp. dried Italian seasoning
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 lb. wild salmon, cut into 2-inch cubes
- 4 small plum tomatoes, cut into quarters or 8 cherry tomatoes
- 4 large whole mushrooms, stems removed, halved
- 1 medium green bell pepper, deseeded, cut into 12 pieces
- 1 medium yellow squash, cut into 8 pieces
- Canola oil cooking spray
- 4 skewers
- If using wooden skewers (in lieu of metal ones), soak them in water for about 30 minutes.
- In large mixing bowl combine juice, oil, garlic, seasoning, salt and pepper. Mix well and divide in half.
- Add salmon and vegetables to half of marinade and gently toss to coat pieces. Cover and marinate for about 30 minutes, occasionally rearranging pieces to ensure even coating.
- Preheat oven broiler.
- Spray large shallow baking dish. Remove skewers from water. Divide fish and vegetable pieces into 4 even portions. Arrange and distribute them evenly on skewers, being careful not to break the pieces.
- Place on baking dish. Brush with remaining marinade not used for marinating raw fish. Broil for about 5-8 minutes, brushing frequently with marinade. Carefully turn over kebabs and continue cooking for an additional 4 minutes, basting frequently until fish is done. Serve.
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
13 g total fat
2 g saturated fat
9 g carbohydrate
26 g protein
2 g dietary fiber
60 mg sodium