- 8 boneless pork chops, thin, about 2 ounces each
- 2 green bell peppers, each cut into 8 lengthwise strips
- 2 portabello mushrooms, cut into 8 slices
- 1 large red onion, cut into 8 wedges, separagted
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes, crushed
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 8 pita pocket bread halves
- 4 slices mozzarella cheese, (2 ounce each), low-fat, part skim, cut in half
- Heat oven to broil.
- Coat a large baking pan with cooking spray.
- Arrange pork chops and vegetables in a single layer on baking pan.
- In a small bowl, combine vinegar, oil, Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes and fennel seed. Brush mixture on both sides of pork.
- Broil 5 to 6 inches from heat for about 6 to 10 minutes, or until pork has internal temperature on a thermometer reads 160 degrees F and vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Remove from oven; divide pork and vegetables among pita pocket breads. Add 1 slice of cheese to each sandwich.
What better way to eat your vegetables than from an Italian-inspired pita sandwich? Use different colored bell peppers for a festive look.
Recipe Yield: Yield: Makes 8 sandwiches (4 servings)
Content Continues Below ⤵ ↷
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 6 grams
Saturated Fat: 2 grams
Sodium: 280 milligrams
Cholesterol: 75 milligrams
Protein: 21 grams
Carbohydrates: 21 grams
Recipe and image appear courtesy of the National Pork Board.
Scroll down to comment or see what others said. You can also share, rate, print, email or Favorite this recipe to your Recipe Box right now.