- 3 slices day-old white bread, cubed
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 2 cups fat-free milk
- 2 large eggs, slightly beaten, or 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare a 1-1/2 quart baking dish with non-stick pan spray.
- Mix the bread cubes and raisins in the prepared dish.
- Combine the remaining ingredients in a medium bowl; pour the mixture over the bread and raisins; stir to blend.
- Set the filled baking dish in a shallow pan on the middle rack of the oven. Pour hot water into the shallow pan to a depth of 1 inch around the baking dish. This creates a water bath to cook the pudding slowly.
- Bake 45 to 55 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the pudding comes out clean. Remove the pan from the water bath and serve warm or chilled.
Recipe Yield: Yield: Makes 3 cups (6 servings)
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 2 grams
Fiber: 1 grams
Sodium: 229 milligrams
Cholesterol: 72 milligrams
Protein: 6 grams
Carbohydrates: 24 grams
Sugars: 16 grams
Content Continues Below ⤵ ↷
1-1/2 Other Carbohydrate, 1/2 Fat
Source: The New Family Cookbook for People with Diabetes