- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1/2 lb. chicken breasts, skinless and boneless
- 1/2 lb. chicken thighs, skinless and boned
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into julienne strips
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 (14 1/2 oz) can no added salt stewed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup water (may substitute low-sodium chicken broth or dry red cooking wine)
- 2 tsp. dried Italian seasoning
- 1/8 tsp. fresh ground black pepper
- Coat large skillet with cooking spray. Preheat skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook until lightly browned, about 6 minutes. Turn frequently to ensure consistent browning.
- Add in pepper, onion and mushrooms and saute an additional 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Stir in tomatoes, water (or broth or wine), Italian seasoning and black pepper. Bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover, simmer, gently stirring occasionally, until chicken is tender and no longer pink, about 15 minutes.
- Remove chicken from skillet, set aside and cover to keep moist and warm. Continue to simmer sauce, uncovered and stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes or until desired consistency.
- Place chicken in a serving dish. Pour sauce over the top and serve.
Creating classic tastes doesn’t have to be time consuming or difficult, as proven by this recipe. It combines the goodness of chicken with the timeless taste of tomatoes, all set off with traditional Italian spices.
Recipe Yield: Yield: Makes 4 servings
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 6 grams
Saturated Fat: 1.5 grams
Fiber: 2 grams
Sodium: 75 milligrams
Protein: 23 grams
Carbohydrates: 9 grams