It is no secret fish should be an integral part of a healthy diet. Finding new ways to prepare it, though, can be challenging. This week's recipe helps meet that challenge with a tasty, easy to make wild salmon dish.
Central to the recipe is cumin, native to Egypt where these seeds were placed in the great pyramids five millennia ago. Frequently confused with caraway, cumin is much stronger. The use of the terms "black cumin" for nigella and "sweet cumin" for aniseed or fennel, can further add to the confusion.
Cumin is the seed of a small plant in the parsley family. Although it does resemble caraway seeds, it has a stronger, spicy-sweet aroma and a sharper, slightly bitter flavor. These distinctive characteristics pack a punch, and add taste and a touch of spice that complement the fish.
The coriander adds sweetness to the dish with a subtle citrus undertone � similar to an orange peel. One of the oldest spices on record, dating back 5000 BCE, the fresh leaves of the plant that produces coriander seeds are cilantro. Its name comes from the Greek word koris, meaning stinky bug.
The high smoke point of the canola oil allows you to sear the salmon and create the crusty finish of the fish. Working with strips facilitates the handling of the fish and it provides built-in portion control. Healthy and unique, this may become a favorite on your home menu.
Content Continues Below ⤵ ↷
Cumin Crusted Salmon
Yield: 4 servings
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. coriander
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lb. wild salmon fillet, skin removed, cut into 8 strips
- 1 Tbsp. canola oil
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Lemon wedges, for garnish
- In medium mixing bowl combine cumin, paprika, coriander, salt and pepper.
- Coat salmon strips completely with cumin mix.
- Heat large skillet brushed with canola oil over medium-high heat for 30 seconds. Gently place fish strips in hot skillet. Sear strips until crusty and salmon is cooked through 6-10 minutes.
- Top with a sprinkle of cilantro, garnish with lemon wedges and serve.
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
10g total fat
1g saturated fat
0g dietary fiber