The summer is over and new routines can mean hectic schedules with little time to create great tasting healthy meals. This wonderful casserole, featuring eggplant, can help. The term casserole comes from the French for saucepan, meaning you cook it in a single container allowing all the flavors to mingle.
Eggplant is popular in international cuisines like Indian, Italian and French, but it's underused in the United States. Incorporate these purplish garden gems into your home meals more often, starting with smart buying. Simply avoid huge eggplant. Instead choose firm small to medium fruit with blemish-free skin.
Coating the eggplant slices with flour allows them to remain a pleasing firm texture. Layering the eggplant and vegetables with creamy cheeses creates a satisfying casserole loaded with Mediterranean flavor.
To complete your meal, add something fresh, like a tossed green salad with lettuce and sliced cucumbers topped with shredded carrots. Then sprinkle on some extra virgin olive oil and vinegar or fresh lemon juice and dinner is served.
Cheesy Eggplant Casserole
Content Continues Below ⤵ ↷
Makes 6 servings.
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 small to medium eggplants, peeled and sliced, about 1/2-inch thickness
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/4 cup green onions, chopped
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 bell pepper (red or green) diced
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. dried Italian seasoning
- 2 cups no-salt added tomato puree
- 1 (14-oz.) can no-salt added diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 2 cups low-fat cottage cheese
- 1-1/4 cups shredded, low-fat mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Sprinkle salt over eggplant and set aside.
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet. Saute onions, pepper, mushrooms, and garlic until tender, about 3-4 minutes. Add seasoning, tomato puree and diced tomatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer about 22 minutes.
- Coat eggplant with flour, front and back. Coat skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium heat. Add eggplant slices in batches and cook, covered, until browned, turning once - about 3-5 minutes per side. Transfer to plate.
- In a 7 x 11-inch casserole dish, spread about 1 cup sauce. Add a layer of eggplant. Top with 1 cup cottage cheese, more sauce and 1/2 cup mozzarella. Repeat again, placing a layer of sauce on top. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella. Bake uncovered, about 30 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
9 g total fat
4 g saturated fat
24 g carbohydrate
21 g protein
7 g dietary fiber
600 mg sodium