Fish is nutritious and many Americans could benefit from eating more. The trick is finding interesting new ways to prepare it. Crusting and baking fish is an excellent way to keep it moist and provide a luscious texture.
It starts with the coating. Although we consider almonds to be nuts, botanically the almond tree is related to fruit trees like peaches and plums. Almonds contain heart healthy unsaturated fats, vitamin E and fiber. They have a somewhat bitter, yet pleasant taste.
Whole-wheat bread crumbs add extra crunch and fiber to the crust. The herbs and seasonings provide fresh flavor and the egg is crucial for binding the crumbs to the filet. The result is a delicious fish that pairs well with almost any side dish.
For example, add a slice of fresh grilled pineapple. Pop a slice of pineapple under the broiler, or on the grill, for three or four minutes. Complete your meal with a medley of steamed garden vegetables, such as a combination of carrots, broccoli and green beans, and you have a great lunch or dinner.
Almond and Whole Wheat Crusted Tilapia
Content Continues Below ⤵ ↷
Makes 4 servings.
- Canola oil cooking spray
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 tsp. dried parsley or 2 Tbsp. finely chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 Tbsp. whole almonds (about 14-15 nuts)
- 2/3 cup whole-wheat bread crumbs
- 1 lb. tilapia
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees and coat baking dish with cooking spray.
- Beat egg in mixing bowl and add lemon juice, oil, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, parsley, and salt and pepper, combining well.
- Process almonds and bread crumbs together in food processor or blender to a medium coarse crumb. Transfer to bowl.
- Dip fish into egg mixture. Then dredge in crumb-nut mixture, coating both sides well. Place breaded fillets on prepared cooking dish.
- Bake for 17 minutes and serve.
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
9 g total fat
1.5 g saturated fat
15 g carbohydrate
30 g protein
1 g dietary fiber
226 mg sodium