The first step to meal planning is working closely with a registered dietitian. Dietitians know how nutrition can better control patients' blood glucose levels, while tailoring programs that suit their tastes and lifestyles.
What are some simple rules to good nutrition? Balancing out carbohydrates, proteins, and fats. Eating a variety of fresh fruits and vegetables, lean meats, and whole grains can make a difference in your blood sugar. Keeping fat, especially saturated fat, at an appropriate level. Again, your dietitian can help you set-up your requirements.
What does this mean? You're not necessarily restricted to what you can eat, as long as it can be incorporated into your daily meal schedule. And while most foods can be incorporated into a meal plan, sometimes special foods are very helpful.
Take a look at the following recipes that can become a part of your daily routine. They're fast, easy to make, and taste great!
LEMON BLUEBERRY BRAN MUFFINS
- 1-1/2 cups bran flakes cereal, crushed
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup Cary's Sugar Free Syrup
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1-1/4 cups unsifted flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350�. In a large bowl, combine cereal and buttermilk; let stand 5 minutes. Combine syrup, oil, and egg; mix well. Add to cereal mixture. Stir together flour, soda, rind and salt; add to cereal mixture. Stir only until moistened. Fold in blueberries. Fill paper-lined or lightly greased muffin cups 2/3 full. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan. Serve warm.
Nutrition values per serving (1 muffin): 130 calories; 3g protein; 5g fat; 19g carbohydrate; 20mg cholesterol; 300mg sodium (values are rounded) Percentage of calories from: 9% - protein; 34% - total fat; 57% - carbohydrate
Exchanges: 1 bread/starch, 1 fat
- 4 oz. Lightstyle� Low Calorie Cranberry Juice Cocktail
- 4 oz. diet cranberry or grape ginger ale
- Lime wedge, garnish
- Pour into a glass with ice. Garnish with a lime wedge
- Makes one serving.Nutrition values per serving: 5g carbohydrate