Create the great taste of a healthy seafood dish in this easy-to-prepare recipe. Tilapia is a flavorful white fish found in the fresh seafood section of most grocery stores. According to Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch, Tilapia farmed in the U.S. or from Central or South America are the most environmentally-friendly choices.
The colorful chunky sauce in this recipe combines the acidity of tomatoes and the traditional pairing of lemon with seafood for a flavor that complements this mild flavored fish. The basil - with its delicately sweet, anise and peppery qualities - and the garlic impart a subtle Mediterranean taste. And the red pepper gives the dish an extra kick.
This dish goes well with a simple green salad consisting of fresh lettuce, cucumbers, a measure of grated carrots and some garbanzo beans. For a dressing, you might try a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and a squeeze of lemon juice. A complete nutritious meal could be topped off with a mixed fresh fruit for dessert.
Tilapia with Chunky Tomato Sauce
Makes 4 servings.
- 2 (14-oz) cans no salt added diced tomatoes, drained
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions, including green stems
- 1/2 tsp. sugar (optional)
- 1 Tbsp. finely chopped fresh basil (2 tsp. dried may be substituted)
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper (or to taste)
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 lb. tilapia fillets
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
Content Continues Below ⤵
- Place all ingredients, except oil, fish and parsley in a bowl and gently combine well.
- In large skillet heat oil over medium high heat. Place fish in skillet. Top with tomato mixture, cover and simmer over medium low heat for 8-10 minutes or until fish is cooked.
- Garnish with parsley and serve.
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
6 g total fat
1 g saturated fat
10 g carbohydrate
22 g protein
2 g dietary fiber
102 mg sodium