- 1 pound bratwurst, (5 links)
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 32 oz can sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup dry white wine, OR apple juice
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon instant chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 large apple, cored and sliced
- In a large skillet cook bacon over medium-high heat until crisp. Bacon can be drained and set aside for another use. Reserve 2 tablespoons drippings in skillet.
- Cook onion and garlic in skillet over medium heat until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in sauerkraut, potatoes, water, wine, brown sugar, bouillon, caraway and bay leaf.
- Add up to 1/2 cup more water, if necessary, to cover potatoes. Bring to boiling.
- Score bratwurst; add to sauerkraut mixture and reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until potatoes are just tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add the sliced apple; cover and cook for 5-10 minutes more or until apples are just tender.
- Remove bay leaf and serve.
Be aware that this recipe is not appropriate for people restricting their salt intake.
Recipe Yield: Yield: 5 servings
Content Continues Below ⤵ ↷
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 16 grams
Saturated Fat: 6 grams
Fiber: 7 grams
Sodium: 1570 milligrams
Cholesterol: 35 milligrams
Protein: 12 grams
Carbohydrates: 24 grams
Recipe and image appear courtesy of the National Pork Board.
Scroll down to comment or see what others said. You can also share, rate, print, email or Favorite this recipe to your Recipe Box right now.