- 1 pound bratwurst, (5 links)
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 32 oz can sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup dry white wine, OR apple juice
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon instant chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 large apple, cored and sliced
- In a large skillet cook bacon over medium-high heat until crisp. Bacon can be drained and set aside for another use. Reserve 2 tablespoons drippings in skillet.
- Cook onion and garlic in skillet over medium heat until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in sauerkraut, potatoes, water, wine, brown sugar, bouillon, caraway and bay leaf.
- Add up to 1/2 cup more water, if necessary, to cover potatoes. Bring to boiling.
- Score bratwurst; add to sauerkraut mixture and reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until potatoes are just tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add the sliced apple; cover and cook for 5-10 minutes more or until apples are just tender.
- Remove bay leaf and serve.
Be aware that this recipe is not appropriate for people restricting their salt intake.
Recipe Yield: Yield: 5 servings
Content Continues Below ⤵ ↷
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 16 grams
Saturated Fat: 6 grams
Fiber: 7 grams
Sodium: 1570 milligrams
Cholesterol: 35 milligrams
Protein: 12 grams
Carbohydrates: 24 grams
Recipe and image appear courtesy of the National Pork Board.