- 2 cups cooked pinto beans
- 2 cups cooked black turtle beans
- 2 cups cooked green beans
- 2 large onions, very thinly sliced
- 1 large green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 large red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely diced
- 1/2 cup honey or sugar
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tsp red chili, finely ground
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup fresh epazote or oregano, finely chopped, OR 2 to 3 tsp dried
- 1/3 cup oil
- Combine first 6 ingredients in a large bowl.
- Combine all other ingredients except the oil in a smaller bowl; blend well. Stir the oil into the small bowl, blending thoroughly, then pour this dressing evenly over the bean mixture.
- Toss this salad to blend well. To mingle the flavors, cover and refrigerate for 2 hour or more before serving.
Beans and peppers, like corn, are ancient foods in the Native American world. At every celebration they are staples, nurturing those who gather to share the harvests.
Recipe Yield: Prep Time: 15 Minutes - Cost: $``Servings: 10 - Difficulty Level: 2
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 8 grams
Sodium: 241 milligrams
Protein: 7 grams
Carbohydrates: 34 grams
1-1/2 Starch; 1 Vegetable; 1-1/2 Fat; 1/2 Meat
Source: Enduring Harvests: A Treasury of Native American Foods For Every Season