The Hawaiian Food Group Lists have been prepared to help provide food composition information so a diabetic-friendly Hawaiian diet can be more easily followed.
Diet is an important part of the treatment and prevention of many diseases including obesity, diabetes, heart disease and high blood pressure.
To make it easier for you to follow your diabetic meal plan and to meet your nutritional needs, foods have been divided into six food groups.
The reason for dividing food into six different groups is that foods vary in their carbohydrate, protein, fat, and calorie content. Each group contains foods that are alike and contain about the same amount of carbohydrate, protein, fat, and calories. The chart on the following page shows the amount of these nutrients in one serving from each Food Group.
As you read over the Food Group Lists, you will notice that the portion size may vary. Because foods are so different, serving size for each food is adjusted so the amount of carbohydrate, protein, fat, and calories are similar for each choice.
Content Continues Below ⤵ ↷
If you have a favorite food that is not included in any of these groups, ask your nutritionist to help work it into your meal plan.
Sections of “Hawaiian Food Choices for Healthful Living Based on Food Group Lists” include:
- Principles of Good Nutrition
- The Food Groups
- Nutrient Content by Food Group
- Meal Planning Using Food Groups
- Hawaiian Example Menu
- Meal Plan Form
- Measuring Your Foods
- Calcium/Milk Group
- Starch Group
- Fruit Group
- Vegetable Group
- Protein/Meat Group A (lean)
- Protein/Meat Group B (medium fat)
- Protein/Meat Group C (high in fat)
- Protein/Meat Group D (very high in fat)
- Fat Group A (high in unstaturated fats)
- Fat Group B (high in saturated fats)
- Foods that Do Not Need to be Measured
- Other Foods for Occasional Use
- Ethnic Food Dishes
- Nutrient Value and Food Groups of Plate Lunches
- Fast Food Restaurants
You can view and/or print the complete, 39-page publication (free) using this link:
Hawaiian Food Choices for Healthful Living