- 1-1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- Pinch of salt
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup raisins, soaked overnight (see note if you leave out raisins)
in 1/2 cup unsweetened orange juice
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and finely grated
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 2 medium egg whites, at room temperature
- 3-1/2 ounces low-fat cream cheese beaten
with 2 teaspoons sifted confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Lightly grease an 8 x 4 inch loaf pan and line it with parchment paper.
- Sift the flour, salt, baking powder, cinnamon and ginger into a large bowl, tipping in any bran left in the sifter.
- Stir in the sugar, raisins with their juice, carrots and oil and mix well.
- Beat the egg whites until they stand up in soft peaks, then fold lightly but thoroughly into the carrot mixture, using a large spoon or spatula.
- Pour into the pan and bake in the center of the oven for about 1-1/4 hours, or until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and peel off the lining paper. When completely cool, cut in half horizontally and fill with the sweetened cream cheese.
Some people do not like raisins in their carrot cake. If you choose to leave out the raisins, as pictured, it will reduce the amount of carbohydrate by 7g, calories by 27, sugars by 5.4g, fiber by 0.3g and protein by 0.3g per serving.
Recipe Yield: Yield: Makes 12 slices Serving Size: 1 slice
Content Continues Below ⤵ ↷
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 3 grams
Saturated Fat: 1 grams
Fiber: 3 grams
Sodium: 154 milligrams
Cholesterol: 5 milligrams
Protein: 4 grams
Carbohydrates: 26 grams
1 Starch, 2/3 Fruit, 1/2 Fat
Source: Great Healthy Food - Diabetes
Book Title: Great Healthy Food - Diabetes
Scroll down to comment or see what others said. You can also share, rate, print, email or Favorite this recipe to your Recipe Box right now.