- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Pinch of salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat margarine, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup ground almonds
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 teaspoons finely grated orange zest
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lightly grease the base of an 8-inch non-stick baking pan and line with parchment paper.
- Sift the flour, salt and baking powder together. Beat the eggs until they are light and frothy.
- Beat the margarine and sugar together until smooth and creamy. Add the beaten eggs gradually, beating well between each addition. If the mixture shows any signs of curdling, beat in a little of the flour mixture.
- Stir in the flour mixture together with the ground almonds, almond extract and orange zest and mix lightly to a thick, fluid (but not runny) consistency, adding a little orange juice or water if necessary.
- Pour into the prepared pan, smooth the top, and bake in the center of the oven for about 45-50 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the center.
- Strip off the parchment paper and leave the cake to cool on a wire rack.
Recipe Yield: Yield: 10 slicesServing Size: 1 slice
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 6 grams
Sodium: 99 milligrams
Cholesterol: 32 milligrams
Protein: 2 grams
Carbohydrates: 16 grams
1/2 Starch, 2/3 Other Carbohydrate, 1 Fat
Source: Great Healthy Food - Diabetes
Book Title: Great Healthy Food - Diabetes
Scroll down to comment or see what others said. You can also share, rate, print, email or Favorite this recipe to your Recipe Box right now.