- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2/3 cup reduced-fat margarine
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup ground almonds
- 1/3 cup, plus 2 tablespoons candied cherries, finely chopped
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 3/4 cup skim milk
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Lightly grease and line a jelly-roll pan with parchment paper.
- Sift the flour and baking powder. In a large bowl, cream the margarine and sugar until light and fluffy. Stir in the ground almonds and cherries.
- Mix the beaten egg with the milk and almond extract, and gradually beat into the creamed margarine and sugar, adding a little of the flour mixture if there is any sign of curdling.
- Beat in the rest of the flour mixture, turn into the prepared pan and bake for about 35 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove the lining paper, allow to cool on a wire rack and when completely cool, cut into bars or squares before serving.
Recipe Yield: Yield: 16 barsServing Size: 1 Bar
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 5 grams
Fiber: 1 grams
Sodium: 106 milligrams
Cholesterol: 14 milligrams
Protein: 3 grams
Carbohydrates: 18 grams
Content Continues Below ⤵ ↷
1 Starch, 1 Fat
Source: Great Healthy Food - Diabetes
Book Title: Great Healthy Food - Diabetes
Scroll down to comment or see what others said. You can also share, rate, print, email or Favorite this recipe to your Recipe Box right now.