- 2 cups green split peas, rinsed and drained
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 3 or 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 12 cups water, chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup pearl barley, rinsed and drained
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cloves crushed garlic, if desired
- 2 tsp. canola oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
- In a large soup pot, combine split peas, carrots, celery and 1 onion with water. Bring to a boil. Stir in barley, bay leaf and garlic, if using. Reduce heat and simmer partly covered for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Stir occasionally. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- In a nonstick skillet, heat oil. Saute the remaining 2 onions on medium heat until well-browned, about 6 to 8 minutes. Add onions to soup along with dill. Simmer soup 5 to 10 minutes longer. Discard bay leaf (and turkey carcass, if using).
Reheats and/or freezes well. If soup gets thick, add a little water or broth.
Recipe Yield: Prep Time: 25 Minutes - Cost: $``Servings: 12 - Difficulty Level: 2
Content Continues Below ⤵ ↷
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 1.3 grams
Sodium: 31 milligrams
Protein: 8 grams
Carbohydrates: 21 grams
1/2 Starch/Bread; 3 Vegetable
Book Title: MealLeaniYUMM!
Scroll down to comment or see what others said. You can also share, rate, print, email or Favorite this recipe to your Recipe Box right now.