- 1/2 cup finely chopped, drained canned beets, or vacuum-packed cooked beets (see note)
- 1 1/2 tsp. Dijon-style mustard
- 1 1/2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 4 Tbsp. fat-free, reduced-sodium chicken or vegetable broth, divided
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2 ounces French green beans
- 3 cups baby spinach
- 2 medium endives, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch slices, about 1 cup
- 2 tablespoons sweet onion, cut in very thin crescents
- 1 small roasted or cooked beet
- For dressing, place beets, mustard, vinegar and 2 tablespoons of broth in blender and whirl until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides of blender as needed. With the motor running, pour in remaining broth, then oil. Season dressing to taste with salt and pepper. Makes 3/4 cup thick dressing. Dressing can be made ahead and refrigerated, tightly covered, for 24 hours. If necessary, before using, thin chilled dressing with additional broth and adjust the seasoning.
- Cook green beans in boiling water for 2 minutes. Drain and plunge immediately into bowl of cold water. When beans are cool, drain well and set aside.
- In mixing bowl, combine spinach and endive, then divide between 2 salad plates or wide, shallow bowls. Sprinkle onions over greens, then add green beans.
- Cut beet crosswise into thin slices. Cut each slice into matchsticks and sprinkle over salad. Drizzle on 3 tablespoons of the dressing. Serve immediately.
Note: When buying beets in a can or jar, be sure they are not pickled.
Recipe Yield: Makes 2 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 4 grams
Saturated Fat: under 1 grams
Sodium: 119 milligrams
Protein: 3 grams
Carbohydrates: 11 grams
Recipe Options - Cool Things You Can Do
Scroll down to comment or see what others said. You can also share, rate, print, email or Favorite this recipe to your Recipe Box right now.